- Affiliate Associate Professor, Global Health
Institute of Tropical Medicine and Infectious Diseases
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
Select from the following:
Kenneth Kairu Ngure MPH, MSc, PhD is an Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Community Health at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Kenya and Affiliate Associate Professor at the Department of Global Health, University of Washington. He is a recognized scientist in the fields of behavioral research, family planning, HIV Prevention and his current interests include antiretroviral based HIV prevention, HIV self-testing and interventions to reduce the risk of HIV transmission during peri-conception and pregnancy among HIV serodiscordant couples. Kenneth is also an elected member of the Governing Council of International AIDS Society (IAS) representing African where he also sits in the Executive Board.
- PhD (Kenya Medical Research Institute)
- MSc (United States International University)
- MPH (University of Nairobi (Kenya))
- MSc (University of London (UK))
- HIV Transmission
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Mental Health
- Operations Research
- Qualitative Research and Methods
- STDs (other than HIV)
HIV-1 prevention interventions especially those targeting HIV discordant couples; Contraception - correlates and barriers; Phase IV vaccine studies; Qualitative research
1. Katrina Ortblad, Stephanie Roche, Peter Mogere, Kevin Kamolloh, Josephine Odoyo, Jillian Pintye, Andy Stegachis, Pamela Kohler, Renee Heffron, Elyse Tung, Peter Mugo, Jared Baeten, Elizabeth Bukusi, Kenneth Ngure, on Behalf of Stakeholders for Pharmacy PrEP. Collaborative design of a care pathway for pharmacy-based PrEP delivery in Kenya: results from a stakeholder engagement meeting. BMC Health Serv Res. 2020 Nov 12;20(1):1034. doi: 10.1186/s12913-020-05898-9.
2. Kenneth Ngure, Jennifer Velloza, Connie Celum, Rena Patel, Jared Baeten, Nelly Mugo, Elizabeth Bukusi, Jessica Haberer, Josephine Odoyo, Renee Heffron: Effective contraceptive use and PrEP adherence among East African women in HIV serodiscordant couples partnerships. International Journal of STD and AIDS https://doi.org/10.1177/0956462420951501
3. Kenneth Ngure, Fernandos Ongolly, Annabell Dolla, Merceline Awour, Elizabeth Irungu, Nelly Mugo, Jennifer Morton, Gena Barnabee, Kathyrn Peebles, Elizabeth Bukusi, Kenneth Mugwanya, Gabrielle O’Malley, Jared M. Baeten: High awareness but uncertain belief in U=U : perspectives of providers and couples in Kenya: J Int AIDS Soc. 2020 Mar;23(3):e25466. doi: 10.1002/jia2.25466.
4. Renee Heffron, Kenneth Ngure, Justice Quame-Amalgo, Catherine Kiptinness, Jennifer Velloza, Lynda Oluch, John Njoroge, Richard Momanyi, Gakuo Maina, Sarah Mbugua, Susan Morrison, Harald Haugen, Bhavna Chohan, Connie Celum, Jared M. Baeten, and Nelly Mugo. Implementation of a comprehensive safer conception intervention for HIV-serodiscordant couples in Kenya: uptake, use and effectiveness.: J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Apr;22(4):e25261. doi: 10.1002/jia2.25261.
5. Renee Heffron, Kenneth Ngure, Josephine Odoyo, Nulu Bulya, Edna Tindimwebwa, Ting Hong, Lara Kidoguchi, Deborah Donnell, Nelly Mugo, Elizabeth Bukusi, Elly Katabira, Stephen Asiimwe, Jennifer Morton, Susan Morrison, Harald Haugen, Andrew Mujugira, Jessica Haberer, Norma Ware, Monique Wyatt, Mark A. Marzinke, Lisa M. Frenkel, Connie Celum, and Jared M. Baeten, Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV-negative persons with partners living with HIV: uptake, use, and effectiveness in an open-label demonstration project in East Africa Gates Open Res. 2017 Nov 6;1:3. doi: 10.12688/gatesopenres.12752.1.