- Acting Assistant Professor, Global Health
Hans Rosling Center 734
3980 15th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98195
Select from the following:
Dr. Beima-Sofie is an Acting Assistant Professor in the Department of Global Health at the University of Washington. She is a qualitative researcher with implementation science training serving as core faculty for the UW/FHCRC Center for AIDS Research Behavior Science Core, as well as faculty for the Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents, and Children (Global WACh) and the Kenya Research and Training Center (KRTC). Dr. Beima-Sofie’s research interests have coalesced around understanding factors that influence the health of women, adolescents and children affected by HIV. Aligning with these interests, her current research projects focus on evaluating interventions and national programs for adolescents affected by HIV including programs and policies around HIV disclosure to children and adolescents, transition from pediatric to adult care, healthcare provider interventions that optimize HIV treatment support. She is also involved in several projects to optimize provision of PrEP to HIV negative pregnant women and other key populations.
- PhD (University of Washington)
- MPH (University of Washington)
- BS (Western Washington University)
- Child and Adolescent Health (incl. Pediatrics)
- Health Interventions
- HIV Transmission
- Implementation Science
- Intervention Design and Management
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Qualitative Research and Methods
- CFAR: Behavioral Science Core
- Data Informed Stepped Care (DISC) to Improve Adolescent HIV Outcomes
- Developing a data-informed caregiver intervention to improve adolescent HIV outcomes in Kenya
- NextGen Long-acting and Targeted Combination ART for Children with HIV
- PrEP adherence among Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW): a multidimensional evaluation
- The CHIME Projects: PHASE, Option B+, Family Planning, & DART
Beima-Sofie, K, K. Ortblad, F. Swanson, S.M. Graham, J.D. Stekler, J.M. Simoni. “Keep it going if you can”: HIV service provision for priority populations during the COVID-19 pandemic in Seattle, WA. AIDS and Behavior. May 8 [epub ahead of print] (2020). PMCID: PMC7207988
Beima-Sofie, K. E.R. Begnel, M.R. Golden, A. Moore, M. Ramchandani, Dombrowski, J.C. “It’s Me as a Person, Not Me the Disease:” Patient Perceptions of an HIV Care Model Designed to Engage Persons with Complex Needs. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 2020 Jun;34(6):267-274. PMCID: PMC7262637
Escudero, J., J.C. Dettinger, J. Pintye, J. Kinuthia, H. Lagat, F. Abuna, P. Kohler, J.M. Baeten, G. O’Malley, G.C. John-Stewart, K.M. Beima-Sofie. Community perceptions about use of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among adolescent girls and young women in Kenya. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. Jul 14 [epub ahead of print]. (2020).
Atkins D.L., A.D. Wagner, J. Zhang, I.N. Njuguna, J. Neary, V.O. Omondi, V.A. Otieno, K. Ondeng’e, D.C. Wamalwa, G.C. John-Stewart, J.A. Slyker, K. Beima-Sofie. Use of the Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research (CFIR) to Characterize Healthcare Workers’ Perspectives on Financial Incentives to Increase Pediatric HIV Testing. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. Feb 10 [epub ahead of print]. (2020).
Simoni JM, Beima-Sofie K, Amico KR, Hosek SG, Johnson MO, Mensch BS. Debrief Reports to Expedite the Impact of Qualitative Research: Do They Accurately Capture Data from In-depth Interviews? AIDS Behav. 2019 Aug;23(8):2185-2189.